Exchanges: 4 oz. meat, 1 vegetable
Rapid Results/ Jump Start/ Quick Count
Yield: 4 oz. steak, 1/2 cup salad
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Tamari sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. basil leaves, chopped
- Add salt and pepper to steak and place on pre-greased skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 6 minutes per side then remove from heat. Let steak sit for 5 minutes before cutting into thin slices.
- While steak cools, combine fresh lime juice, brown sugar, Tamari sauce, fish sauce, fresh garlic, and Tabasco sauce in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together until well blended.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine red cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots, cilantro and basil leaves. Add steak and juice mixture from step 2 to the cabbage. Toss until evenly coated.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (6.6 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Could also use a different type of protein, such as chicken or lamb
Cooking Light, June 2012
Dr. Rogers Weight Loss Centers Staff