Coaching that gets you results. Our exercise physiologists can help develop a customized exercise program to revitalize your workouts, help move you beyond stubborn plateaus, or break out of fitness ruts. Our exercise physiologists can help not only lead you on the path to wellness, but change your outlook and help build up your confidence with results beyond the mirror.
Dr. Rogers’ fitness studios are private, personal, clean, and offer extended available hours.
What is an RMR Test?
The Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) testing will determine how many calories your body burns at rest. The release, and use, of energy in this state is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, skin, and muscles. In order to lose, maintain, or gain weight, you need a resting metabolic rate test to know how many calories you’re currently burning. This in-clinic test takes the guess work out of assessing your metabolism. Once completed, your metabolic rate will be used to calculate your target caloric zones.
*An RMR test is included in most weight loss programs. Please speak with one of our weight loss patient advocates for more information.
Why is metabolism important?
Metabolism is the process of converting calories into energy. The rate of efficiency at which your body does this is called your metabolic rate. Different factors can affect your metabolism such as weight, age, body composition, hormone levels , and gender; your metabolism is unique!
Understanding your body’s metabolic rate allows Dr. Rogers Centers to customize your weight loss and/or exercise program around your needs. Knowing your metabolic rate can help explain frustrated attempts to lose weight in the past. It can also help to reveal changes to get you over a annoying plateau in your weight loss journey.
Day of Test Preparations
- Do NOT eat or drink (except water), minimum 4 hours before the test
- Take all daily vitamins, diabetic medications, blood pressure, etc.
- Do NOT take the prescribed appetite suppressant
- Do NOT exercise the day of the test
How is the test performed?
- During the test, you will sit in a comfortable position. You will be given a mouthpiece to breathe in. You will be breathing in air from the room, but the gas you breathe out will go into the metabolic analyzer to measure your metabolic rate.
- Be sure to relax and close your eyes – no phones during the test.
- Keep your lips tightly sealed around the mouthpiece – it’s important that all the air you breathe out is analyzed.
- In about 10 minutes, your rate will be ready!